Sunday 1 October 2017

A blouse, a Doris and a screwdriver

My sewing journey continues with the next project which was to make a jersey blouse.  I had a navy jersey blouse that I bought many years ago and I loved it as a go-to, easy to wear, casual to formal item of clothing.  I have literally worn it out, holes appeared and so it had to go.  I decided to have a go at making a replacement, so a pattern was sourced and fabric bought.
At about this time I was also progressing my sewing room.  I had removed the spare bed and tidied up the small back bedroom.  I purchased a sewing desk and drawers (more of this in a later post) and some screwdriving, and some fairly light swearing later, I now had a space that I could use.
I also thought I should buy a dressmakers dummy, in particular because I decided to make a dress for my daughter's wedding in autumn.  I knew I would need all the help I could get to do this and a dummy would help me get the sizing right and check how it would fit.
I looked at the prices of dummys and adjustable ones are not cheap.  I worried that if I spent a lot of money on one it might turn out to be an expensive sandwich toaster.  You know what I mean, you buy it because you think it will be wonderful but within a few weeks it is at the back of the cupboard, forgotten*.  I pondered how to deal with this and started to look on ebay for a second hand one.  Luck was in my favour; I found one that looked in good condition, the right size range and close enough to drive to pick up.  Purchase made: a quick hop to Stoke and back and Doris came home with me.  She is a bit worn, her leg is a little rusty but none of us are perfect.  (and yes this is her unadjusted)

I adjusted her to my size and took a step back.  Now this bit is important because Doris taught me something as I stood and looked at her.  I have struggled with my weight for many years, I put it on, I lose it, I put it on again and the cycle turns.  I do not enjoy looking at myself in mirrors or in photographs as I criticise myself harshly.  The prospect of making Doris reflect my body size did not fill me with joy but it had to be done.  When completed I was surprised that she did not look as big as I feared.  I checked I had done it accurately and actually, when considered, I think she doesn't look that huge.  This made me feel better about Doris and in turn, better about myself.  This is no mean feat.
The blouse turned out well and I chose some pretty buttons to go with it.
I liked it so much I made another, this time out of scuba fabric.  This worked well too and the fabric is very pretty.  I confess I did not intend to buy scuba fabric.  I saw it online and liked the pattern.  When the fabric arrived I realised it was thicker than I had intended but it was a happy error.  It was very easy to sew and is now a good early autumn blouse as it is warm but not too warm.
Happy in my efforts I turned to think of the dress for the wedding.  This was going to need concentration.....







*with due acknowledgement to Spaced 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note all comments are moderated