Then I found the pattern I liked, I do like a bit of vintage and I had enjoyed making the Beach Pyjamas from Til the Sun Goes Down, so I wandered back to their website to look at more patterns.
I had a few days off work planned and so made my start. The front bodice was, and this is a technical term, a pig to get right. The pattern instructions told me that this was the most difficult part of the dress and also vital to get right. I used an old sheet that I cut to the pattern first so I could practice and get it right. This was an extremely wise move. The crepe de chine is very easy to damage with pins so I need to practice without ruining the dress before I had really got started. It took me several hours to get the bodice right, but eventually I worked it out and after that the dress came together rather well.
On the day I was very happy with it. It felt a success.