Saturday 20 January 2018

The Swing Jacket Suit

I have always loved vintage style clothes.  As a teenager I raided my mother's wardrobe for several of her old clothes which dated from the 1950s.  I remember with great fondness the circular skirt that had a pattern of fireman climbing ladders on it.  I also wore her old short duffle jacket for a long time, it had a slight swing back and I thought it was wonderful.  Skip ahead to present day and there is now great interest in making vintage style clothing and many patterns are now available.
I found this wonderful Vogue V8146 pattern, note that has one of my favourite pattern descriptions - 'very easy'.  I had been thinking about this pattern for a while and I kept my eye out for finding it and some suitable fabric.  I found both at the Great British Sewing Bee, the pattern was on offer on one stand and the fabric on another.  All I needed was the perfect lining fabric for the jacket which I managed to find at the Harrogate Knitting and Stitching Show and I had all I needed to get started.
I also had some help, Esme decided to help me cut out the lining.  I fell in love with this bright birdy fabric, it was perfect for what I wanted to do.
Whereas Bruce decided to help me cut out the suit material.  I cut out the pieces very carefully, I really wanted to make a good job of this and I was determined to take my time and do everything as good as I possibly could.
The dress came together well,
It was, as the pattern had promised it would be, nicely easy.  I even managed to match up the pattern, I was extremely pleased with myself for doing this.
The jacket also came together well.  I had some button-angst and had to walk around it for a day or so deciding which button to choose.  I nearly put all four on like this and still at times I think I might revisit this thought.
I actually chose this greeny-blue button as it matched the greeny-blue part of the check pattern well.
Making the bow might have been the fiddleyist part,
It sets off the back of the jacket perfectly and I like the bow, that I will never see when wearing it.
The suit turned out well and I am pleased with it.
I am also incredibly pleased with the lining.  it worked as I hoped it would.

There is however one slight detail where I slipped up.  If you look carefully the pattern on the jacket is the other way up to the pattern on the dress.  This is of course completely deliberate really.....  (every day is a learning day).

6 comments:

  1. What a fantastic outfit! I love the swing back and bow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I love the jacket most too. I nearly didn’t bother with the bow as I thought it a faff but I’m glad I did it.

      Delete
  2. That outfit looks amazing - the bow really sets it off a treat. (It doesn't look that easy to me, but I am very much a beginner with clothes making!)
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :). It is all quite straightforward honestly, not that many seams, the darts are probably the trickiest bit.

      Delete

Please note all comments are moderated