Tuesday 2 January 2018

A prickle of pincushions

I have a confession, I am a collector.  I get interested in things, often by accident and then before I know what is happening I start collecting them.  I love finding out about new things and I can (do) get a little obsessed.  So it is no surprise to anyone who knows me that one pincushion was not enough.

It was indeed an accident, I have a perfectly good standard tomato and strawberry pincushion but it was not quite what I wanted.  It is very small and light and tends to move around when I am using it.  I wanted something more stable and less likely to slip about.  So I started an internet quest to find the perfect pincushion. Suddenly a whole world of pincushions, particularly pincushion dolls and half-dolls was opened up to me.
So now I have a few, (but then again, too few to mention).  I firstly bought the large girl in the bathing suit, then the smaller one with the cocktail brolly (I assume her original parasol is long gone).  I then bought the n*ked girl with a puppy.  Whilst she is pretty I just do not understand why she has lost her clothes?  I then bought the fine lady at the back complete with thistle hat pin.  I decided I needed a complete doll with pincushion skirt.
Then this pincushion caught my eye (wot - no doll? I hear you cry!).  This one is made up of dark wood with a spiral of paper which the pins are pushed into.  
Then there is Miss Tippy-Tappy, she is called this as I am sure she can be heard tippy-tappying around the sewing room in the dark hours of the night.
and finally, my latest acquisition.  She also has lost all her clothes in a slightly disturbing way, but not disturbing enough to stop me from buying her.

I have to pause for a moment though in all this excitement to give a mention to the tomato and strawberry pincushion; that may have been feeling a little discarded and unloved. 
Whilst on my quest for the perfect pincushion I found out why the tomato pincushion is a tomato.  Apparently it stems from Victorian times when it was allegedly believed that a tomato could ward of evil spirits.  Obviously tomatoes are time limited in their lives and can go horribly mushy, which would be rather inconvenient.  The pincushion tomato is therefore a good way of having a tomato always to hand.  I now appreciate my tomato pincushion just that little bit more than before.

None of this though helped me though in my quest for the right pincushion.  

Did I mention I collect things?  

I also have a penchant for vintage Portmeirion, the pre-botanical garden patterns.  In the sewing room I had a small early piece of what I would call Dolphin-period Portmeirion.  It sits on my sewing desk just being pretty as it is too small to be of much use.....

unless.....

.... unless I turn it into a pincushion....
Ta da! and here it is complete.
the more excitable Portmeirion collectors might notice that not only is this a piece of Dolphin-period Portmeirion,
the cushion itself is made from Talisman fabric that I bought I few years ago and never knew what to do with.

So there it is, my perfect pincushion and it does what it should.  It holds pins and does not slip about like the tomato did. (Now I have to stop buying pincushions, I have enough, though there was that one I saw......)

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice collection of pin cushions, I bet you'll be adding more to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have my eye on one at the moment......

      Delete

Please note all comments are moderated