Tuesday 27 April 2021

The Landgate from Merchant and Mills

Well it has been a while hasn't it?  It's not that I have not been sewing, it is more that I have done so much sewing I just couldn't keep up with writing about it.  I was so pleased with how the Landgate from Merchant and Mills has turned out I felt I should share it with you.

I decided to make this showerproof smock as I am planning to be walking up Mount Snowdon soon.  I wanted something I could stuff into a backpack but would be useful on a day when rain was not due but might happen anyway.  The fabric is from Flamingo Fabrics who have a fantastic range of 100% polyester waterproof plastics.  I decided I wanted to go bright and this fabric was perfect.

The fabric cuts and sews really well.  I was very pleased with how it behaved.  The pattern itself was for me quite challenging in the first steps when making the hood which I have to admit surprised me.  Not that I think I am so clever I never make mistakes, but I have made a few Merchant and Mills patterns over the years and find them straightfoward and always give me a pleasing result.  I think I was trying to preempt the pattern rather than sitting and reading it properly - always a mistake.  Thankfully the fabric allowed me to unpick stitches.  Some waterproof fabrics will be left with visible (and rain allowing) holes in them if you unpick, but the woven nature of this fabric seemed more forgiving.  Once I had got the hood attached I stopped the constant expletives (mainly at myself rather than the pattern)_and  the rest of the make settled down to be quite straight forward.
The sleeves needed trimming back as they were quite long, but that is better than being too short and it is always good to check all measurements before you cut!  I know this is obvious so maybe I am only reminding myself, but patterns sometimes surprise you where you don't expect it.

I really enjoyed making this smock.  I have been making quite a few simple jersey tops recently (more of that soon) and whilst I love simple makes, it was nice to get myself back into the headspace of something more challenging and structured.  

I will not leave it so long before posting again - promise!

until then, stay safe and be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note all comments are moderated