Sunday 10 September 2017

Starting simple

Sometimes the thing that kicks you back into action is the refusal to accept what is put in front of you.  I saw a really nice Japanese style apron in a brochure I regularly receive.  I pondered how much I had never thought the words 'ooh that's a nice apron' would be uttered by myself; but I moved on quickly to how nice the apron was and how useful it would be as a cover-up when I was busy around the house.  The words 'Hilda' and 'Ogden' might have been involved.  The price of this apron of wonder though was steep and I rebelled.  I looked at it and thought 'I really ought to be able to make that'.  I looked at trusty sewing machine sitting dustily in the corner of the lounge and realised it was time for it to be brought back into action.

Much internet searching followed.  I needed a pattern that looked reasonable to me to achieve.
I found this wonderful pattern from Sew Me Something and a purchase was quickly made.  Then, pattern held firmly in hand, I went to buy some fabric.  I was not sure what I wanted, but I wanted bright and cheerful

Fabric aquired, some sewing  sewing later and....
Ta da!  She was complete, bright and cheerfully floral with a pale pink lining.
Best of all for this pattern is the crossover back.  This means the apron wraps around nicely and is very easy to throw on and off.  It now lives in the kitchen hanging where I can quickly grab it.  The pattern is very straightforward to follow.  The paper is also nicely thicker than the wafer thin tissue of many patterns so it is carefully saved for if/when I want to make another.  It was the perfect project for me as I had not made anything for a few years and I had not regularly made clothes for a good twenty years.  My skills are rusty and my confidence in my ability was low at the start of this project.  On a scale of 1 to 10 of confidence I felt happily edging towards a 5 by the time Beatrice was completed.

I loved making this simple pattern and my interest, like the Kraken, was released.  I was soon looking for my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note all comments are moderated